2.02.1 Inventory Types
Posted by Katrina Vuong on 17 July 2020 07:23 AM
LabArchives Inventory allows you to organize your inventory into types and assign attributes to those types. You can search, track, and manage specific details regarding similar inventory items with ease.
To access inventory types, click the Gear icon on the top left to open the Lab Management Menu. To access the lab management menu, you must have the role of Lab manager. For more information on roles, CLICK HERE.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Any changes you make to Inventory Types will be reflected in the Import Template used for importing items into your inventory. This is especially important when you are first getting started. Therefore, we recommend comparing your existing spreadsheets and the columns to the the standard fields and special fields for specific Inventory Types that you have. Make the changes to the Inventory Types and their fields as needed, so that the Import Template will have the columns you need. For more information on the Import Template, CLICK HERE.
As seen below, Inventory includes a default list of inventory types to help you get started.
You can edit an inventory type by clicking the pencil icon or delete an inventory type by clicking the trashcan icon.
Each inventory type can have custom attributes or fields to describe the item, which are in addition to the standard fields available for all inventory items. The standard fields are displayed at the top of the Inventory Type screen for quick reference.
The default Inventory Types have fields set up for them already (with the exception of General). You can modify the fields of the default types as well by editing the existing fields, deleting a field, or adding your own.
Note: These default types can be deleted and their fields (or attributes) can be edited or deleted. The “General” inventory type cannot be deleted.
How to Create or Customize Inventory Types
1. Click “Add New” Type at the top Right.
2. Provide a name for the inventory type and click “Add Inventory Type”. If an inventory type uses multiple names, use the most frequently used name in the Inventory Type Name field.
3. To create a new field, click “+Add Field” and input a label. To edit an existing field, click the pencil icon. To delete a field, click the trash can icon.
Note: If you delete an attribute field for an Inventory Type, the information in that field will be deleted from all inventory items of that type.
4. Select a Format for the field. There are 7 different format options for an attribute field.
Text (single-line) - This allows you to input a line of text.
Note: The Dropdown, Radio and Checkbox formats allow the user to select from a designated list of choices. For each choice that should be on the dropdown list, type into the “Options” field and click the plus con. To remove an option, click the trashcan icon.
7. Optional: Mark the field as Required.
If a field is required, a user would see a message like the one below if the field is not completed.
8. To save your inventory type click “Save”.
Note: When adding an inventory item, an Inventory Type is required. The default is the General type. Once you select an Inventory Type, the custom fields will display on the “Details” section for the item.
Duplicating Inventory Items
As a Lab Manager, you have the ability to duplicate Inventory Types. This is helpful if you want an item similar to a current type and want to edit just a few custom fields.
To duplicate an Inventory Type:
1. Click the gear icon at the top of the page.
2. Select ‘Inventory Types’ on the left side menu.
3. On the right side of every inventory type, there is a ‘Duplicate Inventory Type’ icon. Click that icon next to the corresponding Inventory Type that you would like to duplicate.
4. You will notice a confirmation pop up. Select ‘Duplicate’.
5. You are brought to the screen where you can edit the name and fields for this Inventory Type.